Friday, March 09, 2012

Knitting Machine

Lent/Facebook-Free: Day 15

For those of you who know, I've been in my home province of Newfoundland for a week now, visiting my grandparents, and generally taking advantage of all the yummy, Newfie goodness you can't get anywhere else, least of all in Nova Scotia. My laundry list of "Newfie" treats tends to include, but is definitely not limited to:

pineapple pop
Viennese sausages
cream crackers
cabbage rolls
onion rings from The Spud
Purity syrup

Ironically, as much I look forward to these, this time around I'm also trying to avoid eating too much of it (food diary, as much as I hate you, you do a good job of keeping me accountable). I have a tendency to gain weight when I go back home because Newfies are determined to fatten you up if you look like you're skin and bones, and I am decidedly not that!

Keeping my mind off the countless snacks I have available to me, thanks to daily trips to the local grocery, (yes, Mom, I pick up yogurt and fruit instead of chips and ice cream :P) is my knitting. Hard to believe, but I knit a dishcloth and started on my second sock after an imperfect attempt at the first, which I started last Saturday and finished on Tuesday. Even my grandmother was quite impressed, in spite of the fact that I knit tight and "it's th' dev'l's own job gettin' them stitches off" during my numerous mistakes the first time around. It's been satisfying to finish the first sock, and start the second on my own, knitting as far as the heel before asking for assistance from Nanny. We have a routine of knitting in the morning during "Let's Make A Deal" and "The Price is Right", and again in the evening during the Tim Horton's Brier curling. There's really nothing nicer than relaxing and being productive all at the same time.

I wish I had my camera cord so I could upload pictures to this blog while I'm here, and I'm kicking myself for it now. I'll add pictures to this post and any others I put up while in Newfoundland when I get back home next week.

P.S. If you're wondering why this post says Day 15 of Lent instead of Day 17, that's because Sundays are not counted in the forty days of Lent, since Sunday is already a holy day ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment